Monday, February 16, 2009

We're All in This Together

Are you catching my High School Musical reference in the title? I have the songs stuck in my head because I've been playing HSM dance for Wii for... a while today. But I want to thank you all for reminding me that most of you are struggling with the same thing as I am and can relate to my fears. I, um, don't actually know whether I'm still gaining weight or not. The last couple of times my doctor has weighed me she hasn't said anything. Which either tells me that I'm still gaining, or I'm maintaining. I am totally fine not knowing what my weight is doing though, because after relying on the scale every day I'm happy to get a break and not let it determine my mood!

By the way, I'm feeling much better today. Thanks for all the get-well wishes, I'm sure they helped cure my cold/flu-ish thing a lot!

This morning, I made banana apple bread from Bella Eats. I only had one banana that was ripe enough so I decided to make half the batch and turn them into muffins. I remembered to halve everything, except for the flour. Whoops. While I was scooping the batter into muffin tins I was thinking, "Wow, this batter is really thick! And it makes so much!" Then 15 minutes into baking I remembered why. I was afraid that they would end up too dense, but they actually turned out great! Not as sweet as they would've been, but I hate overly sweet muffins. I could really appreciate the fruity flavors in this. I liked biting into the mushy apple bits. Plus, they were tall! Muffins that don't rise are my #1 pet peeve.
I think next time I make this, I'll use the same proportions except replace 1/4 c of flour with maybe another half of a banana, or honey/molasses.

I also had an apple with cheese. And, what could be better than s'moresoats? Raspberry s'moresoats.

For lunch, I went with a childhood favorite, a jam and cream cheese sandwich. I used to eat these all the time! I also had sliced cucumber (we were out of veggies!), a Gnu bar, and a Voskos honey vanilla yogurt. Yay for Voskos! This flavor was good too. Stronger vanilla taste than honey though.

I was super hungry today, for some reason. I decided on a hefty snack of natural popcorn with cinnamon, an orange, and plain yogurt with blueberries. Typically I don't eat popcorn because it's too low cal but I needed to tame the beast within me!

My dad does free lance work so sometimes he has to work weird, late hours, like he's working tonight. Me, my mom, and my sister have a tradition where we eat breakfast for dinner when he's working late. He always goes "Ew, breakfast for dinner?" But it's okay because we don't want to share! Tonight, we made a big Dutch Baby. For those of you who don't know, a dutch baby is essential a giant, eggy, puffy pancake that you cook in the oven instead of in the skillet.
Heeyyy if you turn your head to the left and squint, you can see a dinosaur lying on his back! What you do is melt 1/4 c of butter in a dish/skillet in the oven at 450. In a blender, blend 3 eggs for one minute. Slowly add 3/4 c of milk. Slowly add 3/4 c of flour. Blend 30 seconds. Remove baking dish from oven, pour egg mixture into it. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
I topped mine with strawberries and powdered sugar. And erm, double what you see in the picture because I had seconds! ED started to bug me about the white flour and butter but I brushed him off. Breakfast for dinner is an old tradition, and if ED won't let me enjoy it, then he's not invited. So ha.

It seems I've had a day filled with childhood favorites! Jam and cream cheese sammies, smore's, dutch baby.. I can roll with that.

Rawrg school tomorrow! It's supposed to be my goal for group to socialize more. It's not that I'm afraid to talk to people, and I only sometimes think that people are judging me while I'm talking. Most of the time, I just don't feel like it! I feel like I could function without talking or interacting with any other people. Anyone else feel the same? I used to be a social butterfly, but ED took that away from me and now I'm just content to stay in my little cave. Grr.

Off to watch Gossip Girl! Night!

11 comments:

tinyirishdancer said...

Haha! Your comment made me laugh. I've never heard of anyone not liking the word "oof" before.
But, now that I think about it, it actually IS kind of irritating.

Cattywampus! My mom says that all the time! =D

Mhmm. Lovin' your foodage today! That sammich combo looks yum. I'll have to try it!
And you're probably sooper hungry because of being sick - when I got back from DC, I was running a very high fever too and felt god-awful.

But, the next day, I almost ate a hole in our pantry.
Hee.

And yay! Another baker! *high five*

Hope you're having a lovely Monday! Keep taking care of yourself, chica. <3

Laci said...

Hey Kiki-
Love the "childhood" favs! I used to love PB&J (sorry, hated creamchese and J) but Ed took it away. Now I hae it at least a few times a weak, especially for schoo lunch... I also love the breakfast for dinner! My mom used to make me eggs and toast and Oj at night (evening) for dinner to, now I do occasionally but with tofu scramble... still very yummy. You are so cute with the dinosour thing, keep bringing out your true personality! As for school, I TOTALLY hear you! I often, not intentionally, become very isolated. When I MUST do partner or group work, people don't always want to be with me because they think I'm wierd and quiet and I feel like I'm being judged and hated. I feel like we have this, reputation, where once stupid school starts and everyone gets to know eachother, that's how they expect us to be. :P It suck, but even if this is how the wind blows, once we recover 100% (99% atleast) we can CHANGE and PROVE them worng, we can be the amazing social butterflies we used to be, without worrying we are "fat, ugly and disliked" because this is a lie! Glad your appitite is well, I'm still awing over how tall you are at 14 and with ED, maybe because I'm a shorty? One of my motivations: to GROW! Enjoy your final night, best luck at school! :)

brooke said...

banana muffins! they are my favorite - and i hate when then dont rise! my baking skills are not so great :)

i love cream cheese and preserves! i used to eat this as a little girl and i just thought about it the other day. i think i need to bring a little childhood back in my life too.

i was also ravenous today! so i hate popcorn as my p.m snack :) [along with a orange, carrots and hummus] but i try not to eat it anymore because it so low calorie too - but today i didnt care!

im so proud of you today! you are doing so well - despite what you feel you to need to work on. keep smiling girly! <3 you

Anonymous said...

I am listening to HSM right now! haha

amazing sandwiches, as always :)

don't invite ED - your better than him girlie!!

Anonymous said...

Childhood eats are the best! That dutch baby looks DIVINE :)

Good luck tomorrow at school! I hope it goes well, you're such a great girl!!

emily. said...

Muffins! <3 They seem to be a trend around here lately! Yours look delicious too!

Mmm, that Dutch Baby sounds yummy! As soon as I get home, I'm trying that bad boy out!

Have a great rest of the day! :D

Anonymous said...

Oh yes to delicious eats! and glad to hear you're feeling better!

I love your sandwiches. So pretty! And dessert looks great!

Lyssy said...

Great job on not letting weight make or break your mood! I'm glad you're feeling better!

Your muffins inspired me to use a pumpkin bread mix that I've been wanting to make for a while. Cakes have been one of my fear foods, so I thank you. :)

After seeing all of your sandwiches, I'm dying for a panini maker. =D

I agree with you on not being as social as we used to be. It stinks. When I'm around my friends, I feel like my personality is just gone. Is that the same for you?

Have a good Tuesday~!

cherry_melancholic said...

As usual I'm proper jealous of your food! The muffins look well nice (:

I know what you mean about the social thing. You just have to throw yourself in and work on it, even if you're not in your comfort zone at first, it's really hard I know:/ But it improves I think :D

Enjoy Gossip Girl xoxo

Anonymous said...

S'more oats, sammich, muffins...wow it's all good!!! Your doing so well, keep it up girl!

aussirish said...

heya girlie
im so glad your not relying on your weight to determine your moods anymore, thats such positive progress :)
great eats too...way to go on the dinner/breakfast...it looks really yummy!
love you
xxxx