Tuesday, February 17, 2009

ER Adventures! Ish.

Something very scary happened to me today. Early this morning, I guess around 3 or 4:00, I started getting chills. My teeth were chattering uncontrollably and a had to curl up into a ball under my covers to keep warm. I got up eventually and went to the bathroom because I was really thirsty and needed a drink. After I'd gotten my drink, I started blacking out. I grabbed onto the sink thinking I could just wait it out. I woke up lying down, and at first I thought I was in my bed again. Then I though no, my bed is not hard and cold! Then I remembered that I had been blacking out and realized I must have fainted onto the bathroom floor. I don't know how long I was unconscious. It was dark in my bathroom, but I thought it was because I had already turned the light out. But, I was still blacked out from fainting and didn't realize it. I got up, grabbed onto the doorframe and yelled "Mom, Dad! I think I just fainted!" My dad was walking down the hall to wake me and my sister up for school and got to the bathroom just in time to see me faint again, and hit my head on the metal rim of my bathtub. When I woke up both my parents were holding me and I was quite confused! And my fever of 102 was back. It's hard to tell from this picture, but my head left a nice dent in the metal rim:
I stayed home from school, of course! My head didn't actually hurt, which is kind of creepy considering how my dad said he found me with my head jammed up against that sharp rim. I rested for a couple hours, then my mom took me to an urgent care center. The nurse asked me some questions and then said that the doctor was just going to tell me to go to the emergency room, so there was no sense in staying. So then we went to the ER, it was quite pointless. First they hooked me up to an IV. Then they did a couple of tests on me for thyroid problems, the flu, and strep throat, and said that there was really nothing wrong with me. The doctor said that there is a virus going around with a fever that comes and goes each day, and the fainting was probably a combination of that and dehydration. I never want to do it again!

And just because I don't have many food pics today, here is a picture of me in the ER with an IV attached to me!

For breakfast this morning (three hrs after I fainted), I topped my oats with Funky Monkey freeze dried bananas again. I forget what the exact name of it was, but it was banana acai flavored. I was kind of disappointed because I thought that there would be actual dried acai berries, but it was more like acai-powdered bananas. Still yummy though! I also added a couple slices strawberries.

No picture of lunch because I was in a hurry to leave for the doctor. Snack was kinda a big deal. I was in the ER for about four hours today, mostly just lying around waiting for the inattentive doctors to take the IV out of my arm. Every time I asked if I could have a snack, the doctors said no, not yet. It was almost 7:00 by the time I was released, and I was a starvin' marvin! I considered waiting until I got home to eat, but I was so incredibly hungry I knew I couldn't wait. I went over to the vending machine and picked out something with a decent amount of protein and fat that I knew would satisfy me. Which ended up being...
Peanut butter cookies! Haha sorry I ate them in the car so I couldn't take a picture of what they looked like. Anyway, it's been the longest time since I've had anything junky and processed like that, so I'm proud that I managed to pay attention to my hunger and break ED's stupid rules. They were good too.

For dinner I was still rather hungry so I just whipped up a quick spinach and parmesan 2-egg omelet. And also a grilled PB sammich.
*Shakes fist at ED and his small portion sizes* *Goes off to eat some dried figs*


Anonymous said...

that is so scary and sounds so painful. Im glad you don't have a concussion!
thats a long time without food...i could never last that long! haha

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

WOW! Oh my God, I am so happy to know you're ok. And haha you actually look all pretty and rosy and healthy in the photo (but maybe the rosiness is actually the fever?)

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! i'm so glad you are okay. do you have a bruise on your head? i can't imagine that you wouldn't! either way, i'm so happy you are back at home... feel better hun! good job with the vending machine; that's always scary, but you listened to your body and that's so great! :)

tinyirishdancer said...

That would scare me so badly!
I'm glad you're oky. Feel better!

Heehee. I love dried figs, too.

Thank you for your sweet comment. I do luff me some picklez, hee. =]

Luff ya, girlie. Take care!

Laci said...

OH my Kiki! I am so here for you, I'm SO sorry that crazt situation occured! Did you faint because of sleepiness or illness or something else? Get some rest dear, you deserve it! E-mail me whenever you want! :) fall asleep in YOUR OWN bed listening to a cello melody from your Mp3 player or I-pod! ;)

Lyssy said...

I'm so sorry! That must've been so scary! I'm glad you're okay!!
I hope that never happens to you again!

Good job on not listening to ED and eating those peanut butter cookies. They sound pretty scrumpcious!

Sharon said...

Oh my gooodness, Kiki, glad to hear that you are okay!!!! You had me worried when you started off the post!!!!

Mel said...

OH NO!!! I'm so sorry girl-- glad you made it out of that mess okay!! Awww, and you still manage to look adorable, even in a hospital gown. Hope you're feeling 100% better soon!

dollymixtures said...

Omg I'm so sorry :(
Doctors can be so useless! But I'm glad you're ok:) Take plenty of time to restup and refuel with yummy food :]]

aussirish said...

oh god hun, i hope your ok now! that is such a scary experience and it really got me worried about you! make sure to rest loads today and for the next few days just incase! im sure u were ravenous by the time you got to eat too, i would be!
glad your safe and sound at home now though hun. and adorable pic of you :)(despite it being due to you having to have a drip)
love you

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon =(
I'm so glad your alright and that it was the flu and not something seriously ed related.


lesley said...

Oh, no, you poor girl!! That doesn't sound like fun at all!! Needless to say, I'm SO glad you're okay and that you're ER experience is OVER.

And I'm glad you FINALLY got to eat and that you enjoyed those cookies! :)

I hope your Wedesnday goes well and that no fainting is included!!

Breaking Free said...

Omy gosh Kiki!!! You had me so scared!! I was so afraid that something awful had happened to you. I'm glad that you are okay now though and were able to get the attention and care and treatment that you needed. I will keep you in my prayers and pray that you will be kept in good health and not experience this again. Also, great job with the cookies. You are definitely stronger than you think you are!
Stay well hun!!!

Burp and Slurp~! said...

OH MY GOODNESS! my heart almost stopped for you. I seriously hope you feel better now! what exactly caused the black-out?
aww...that smile you have even with that IV in your arm...soooo sweet! you're really pretty~
but can't believe you actually left a dent on that metal rim...ack, guess your head is tougher than metal! haha~

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! That's scary - glad to hear you're feeling a little bit better! Take it easy, girl :)

emily. said...

Oh my God, that sounds so scary. Fainting is pretty much the most frightening thing to happen to someone, well, at least to me! So glad that you're okay though. <3

Omelettes, mmmm! I love those bad boys. I stuffed myself full of them yesterday.

Have a great rest of the day. :D

Lauryn said...

omg, kiki, im so glad youre okay! that seems so scary, fainting really freaks me out. but im glad everything seems to be fine and that you even got to challenge silly ED when you had to!

thanks so much for stopping by my blog, i'll be visiting you also! =)

Jess :) said...

That sounds so scary!!! Glad you are okay!!! Lovely foods today. How are you feeling now? Go eat girlie!
<3 jess :)

Anonymous said...

So scary. Great to see that you are okay. I wish you a speedy recovery. Take care.

Jess :) said...

glad you are okay :)
<3 jess :)