Thursday, January 22, 2009

TGI... T?

Yes, thank goodness it's Thursday! I don't have any exams tomorrow, so I don't have to go to school at all. Amazing! My exams went okay today, I guess. I had geometry, which I'm okay at. I probably got a high C or low B because there were I couple problems I didn't know how to do. I also had biology, and I know I did well on it. I'm so glad exam week is over!

Not too many pictures today. The banana bread I made the other day was getting stale, and I didn't really feel like having another plain slice. Sooooo I put it in my oatmeal and made blueberry banana bread oats! This was really yummy, the bread got all soggy and the chocolate chips in it melted into the oats.

Lunch was boring as I had just got home from school and didn't want to make anything elaborate. Snacks were boring because I had group and that got in the way of snacking. But dinner, oh dinner... so yummy. My aunt emailed me a recipe for baked potato soup, because she knows I like to cook. I'm not sure where she got it from, so I could be plagiarizing by posting this but oh well. This is just copied from the email, so ignore the non-veggie friendly options. I used white whole wheat flour, tehe.
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken/vegetable broth
  • 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
  • 2 large or 3 med baking potatoes, baked or microwaved
  • Toppings: crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, sliced green onions

Melt butter in large saucepan over med heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, 1-2 min or until tender.
Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and evaporated milk. Scoop potato pulp from 1 potato (reserve potato skin); mash.
Add pulp to broth mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until mixture comes just to a boil.
Dice remaining potato skin and potato(es); add to soup. Heat through. Spoon into bowls and top.
It was so creamy and delish! And very filling and stick to your ribs-y. The only downside of this is that I'm not used to so many high fat ingredients at dinner. I don't mean ED-wise, I mean that it hurt my tummy :[ I think I'll have to recreate it with possibly milk/soymilk instead of the condensed stuff and less butter. I now feel as if I've swallowed a rock.

Today's been a good day. ED hasn't bothered me, yet. I'm pretty okay with high fat stuff such as I had at dinner from gaining weight, so that wasn't a problem. Usually I don't eat anything near as high-fat as that, so it can't hurt every once in a while, right? Yay!

Have any of you read The Omnivore's Dilemma or In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan? I've read both of them, and I just thought of them after I saw Pollan mentioned in an article today. If you haven't, I highly recommend them. They've changed the way I think of food. They both emphasize that food should be enjoyed, and not purchased and eaten for it's nutritional value. These books actually helped me break away from ED a lot. I stopped obsessing about whether my food had enough nutritional vaule to be worth the calories, meaning enough fiber, protein, Vitamin D, etc. I stopped buying lots of "foodlike substances" that I only bought in the first place because there were a list of health claims on the box. Instead, I switched to making homemade and healthy meals using lots of fresh ingredients. I started enjoying my food because it tasted good, rather than because it was nutrient rich. Pick up a copy of these books!

Hope you all had fabulous Thursdays!

9 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Banana bread and oats together sounds like a match made in food heaven!

Oh, and to answer your question on my blog: I *think* Henry is around 6 or 7. We adopted him when I was 18, and they said he was 2. I still call him "puppy" though, cuz he's so little and cute :o)

Anonymous said...

I love topping oatmeal with leftover quickbreads, it get all soggy and delicious.

Yum.

Jess said...

WOW-ZA great breakfast+dinner. Yeah, high fat stuff can bother your stomach I would think...I'm glad to hear that everything went well with your exams. Congrats! I am sure you did great :) Have a wonderful, delish night!
<3 jess :)
xxx

Taylor said...

mmm, potato soup!! Enjoy your night girl!

Sharon said...

I've only read In Defense of Food, but I do want to read his other book!

And tasty eats, as always. Have a great friday tomorrow - horray for no school!

brooke said...

banana bread oatmeal!? oh my goodness i must try this :D

your potato soup sound delicious! you have such a positive attitude - great job handling ed today! i love days like those. i hope group went well too!

p.s thanks for the book recommendation! that sounds like something i could definitely relate to. i will make sure to look into it!

maya said...

banana bread oats!!!omg sounds so good...and that dinner looks delish! love you!

aussirish said...

sounds like a great book, il defo try pick up a copy.
my tummy always hurts after i eat higher than usual fat stuff cause im really not used to it after so long.
eats look great :)
have a nice time at group,
much love
xxxx

Mel said...

that soup looks sooo good!! and great idea with the banana bread oats, i might just try that with the bread i made! and i've had the omnivore's dilemma on my freaking bookshelf for like 2 years and i've tried reading it several times and never made it past the first chapter about corn. i think it's really interesting, i just never find the time to finish it!! maybe that'll be one of my goals for the next few months hahaha. enjoy your friday!!