First we made English toffee.
Mmmmmm toffee toffee toffe I lurve you!! Never leave me! Toffee is so flipping easy to make.
Here is our recipe:
- 1 c. butter
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tbs corn syrup
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- Pecans or white chocolate or candy canes or whatever you want to use for garnish
- Melt butter in small saucepan. Add sugar, salt, vanilla, and corn syrup.
- Bring to a boil. Boil for 6-7 minutes, until mixture is slightly darker than light brown sugar.
- Remove from heat and quickly pour onto a buttered cookie sheet. Spread with a wooden spoon to even out.
- Drop the chocolate on top of the butter and sugar mixture. Let it melt, then spread it evenly.
- Press whatever toppings you like into the chocolate.
- Let cool in the fridge for about an hour. Pry toffee off the baking sheet (it comes of easily with a butter knife) and break into chunks.
Then I made Toasted Almond and Cranberry Chocolate Bark. Dun dun da duhhhhh!
It was deliciously different! I hate peppermint bark because I don't like white chocolate much. This was mostly semi sweet though, and went really well with the almonds and cranberries. And so festive looking too. I didn't spread the chocolate thin enough, so I'll have to make another batch later. It was originally supposed to use dried cherries. Here's my recipe.
- 3/4 c. almonds, chopped and toasted (microwave for 30 secs, stirring every once in a while)
- 3/4 c. dried cranberries (Craisins)
- 12 oz. (1 and 1/2 cups) semisweet chocolate
- 8 oz. (1 cup) white chocolate
- Combine almonds and cranberries and set aside.
- Melt the semi sweet and white chocolate in different saucepans over medium high heat. Stir frequently. It's best if someone helps you to stir the two pots at once.
- Once melted, remove both chocolates from the heat. Stir half of the cranberry almond mix into the semi sweet chocolate.
- Quickly spread the semi sweet onto a buttered baking pan. Try to get it as thin as possible so it isn't too hard.
- Spoon the white chocolate on top of the semisweeet. Attempt to marble the chocolates together (key word here is attempt, it's pretty hard with the almond and cranberry chunks).
- Sprinkle the remaining almond and cranberry mix on top of the white chocolate.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour at least. Break into chunks.
For once, ED let me enjoy my food without thinking of the calories. It was really nice to have a couple pieces of toffee and bark without calculating all the cals.
I didn't really have dinner. Before I left for my orchestra concert, I had a PB sammich and a clementine. Then when I got home at 9:30, I was ravenous so I just made a bowl of antioxidant oats and had it with a string cheese. Too hungry for pics, sorry. My concert went really well. pics tomorrow.
Sorry for being so quick about this post and for not commenting a lot, I'm just dead tired and I have to go eat more to make up for missed cals. Tomorrow!! I will catch up tomorrow, I promise!